Tour Extension - Darjeeling in the Himalayan Foothills
Darjeeling, a town in India’s West Bengal state, in the Himalayan foothills. Once a summer resort for the British Raj elite, it remains the terminus of the narrow-gauge Darjeeling Himalayan Railway, or “Toy Train,” completed in 1881. It’s famed for the distinctive black tea grown on plantations that dot its surrounding slopes. Its backdrop is Mt. Kanchenjunga, among the world’s highest peaks.
- Explore Darjeeling, a land of infinite variety and charm in the Himalayan foothills
- Visit ancient temples and holy monuments to gain spiritual insight into Darjeeling’s ingrained Buddhist philosophy
- Experience the narrow-gauge Darjeeling Himalayan Railway, or “Toy Train,” completed in 1881
- Visit the distinctive black tea plantations that dot the surrounding slopes of Darjeeling
- Experience the panoramic views of Mt. Kanchenjunga, amongst the world’s highest peaks
- Escorted Roundtrip Airport Transfers
- Internal Flights
- All transfers and sightseeing as per itinerary by Innova / Similar (04 Pax per vehicle) at Darjeeling
- Daily breakfast & dinner
- English speaking Escort / Guide from Bagdogra | Darjeeling | Bagdogra
- Toy train joy ride at Darjeeling (subject to availability at the time of booking)
- All entry fees, porter & parking.
- Daily refreshment and mineral water throughout the tour.
Day 1: Delhi to Bagdogra (Fly) – Darjeeling
Welcome on arrival at Bagdogra and drive to Darjeeling (95Kms/ 2.5Hrs.). Dorje, the mystic thunderbolt of the Lama-Religion was the origin of the name Darjeeling, which was first discovered by a British Captain Loyd in the year 1829. Surrounded by tea gardens Darjeeling is a land of infinite variety and charm which will cater you a mix-experience of lively nature & charming Himalayan people. This little town faces some of the highest peaks of the Himalayas. Evening free for individual activity and leisure, overnight at Hotel.
Day 2: Darjeeling Sightseeing
Early morning a start for Tiger Hill to watch the spectacular sunrise and its amazing effects on the Mt. Kanchendzonga (Worlds 3rd highest peak), Visit Ghoom Monastery and Batashia Loop War Memorial while returning to the Hotel. After breakfast transfer to Darjeeling station to enjoy your Toy Train Joy Ride (subject to availability) – this unique Mountain Railway’ project was first started in 1878 by the initiative of Sir. Ashley Eden and is now a World Heritage. Padmaja N. Zoological Garden (Closed on Thursday) established on August 14, 1958. It specializes in breeding animals adapted to alpine conditions.
Later proceed to visit the Tukver Tea Estate – also popularly known as Puttabong Tea estate has quite a reputation for itself for producing one of the finest brands of Darjeeling Tea. It is the First Tea Estate in the history of Darjeeling Tea Plantation (Planted by the pioneering British Tea Planter Dr. Campbell in 1852). This garden is one of the biggest tea estates in Darjeeling comprising of 5 divisions located at a stretch of approximately 20 Km from Darjeeling city to Sikkim State border.
Day 3: Darjeeling To Pemayangtse & Local Sightseeing
After breakfast visit Himalayan Mountaineering Institute (Closed on Thursday) was founded in Darjeeling on 4th November by Pandit Nehru who said that “The institute trains young men not only to climb Himalayan peaks, but also create in them an urge to climb peaks of human Endeavour”. HMI has the oldest mountaineering Museum of the country established in 1957.
Later proceed Tibetan Refugee Self-help Center (Closed on Sunday) established on 1st October, 1959, following the dramatic escape of His Holiness the Dalai Lama, thousands of Tibetans leaving hearth and home, fled into the neighbouring countries to live as free human beings. The production of Tibetan handicraft is the centre’s main activity. Evening enjoy a short walk across the Mall and Local Market (Closed on Thursday).
Evening enjoy a short walk across the Mall and Local Market (Closed on Thursday). Overnight at hotel.
Day 4: Darjeeling | Bagdogra |Delhi
After breakfast drive to Bagdogra airport to board the flight for Delhi.